Sunday, April 22, 2007

Boredom

With school, work, and business in the works, life is busier than ever. As the years progress and the light at the end of colleges tunnel grows from a spec to an gateway, time becomes a precious commodity. With all of this, how do I still find myself bored? I am busier than ever and even with my weeks planned out, it seems I barely have enough time to get everything done. Yet, boredom........boredom!!!!! How, why? What right is it of mine to be bored. This isn't my time, my body, or my life. It all belongs to God and God has been overly kind. So, why am I bored. My pastor this morning this morning preached out of Ecclesiastes. "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity" Eccl 1:2; All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; To the place from which the rivers come, There they return again. All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eyee is not satisfied with seeing, Nor the ear filled with hearing. Eccl 1:7-8.
I find a bit of solace in this book. Even Solomon was bored. He had all the world to offer: a large kingdom, wisdom, wives, money, and anything else his heart desired except for contentment. What gain was it to have everything, when everyone leaves with nothing. Growing up I always heard the phrase, "You can't take it with you", in retrospect maybe it should have been, "You can't take it with you and you don't get to stay". But as my pastor stated this morning, it doesn't matter who you are or what you do, you are still going to die and wether you die a king or a beggar that doesn't change your state. So, what is the point? "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die"? I would say not. Instead, love and serve God for there is no greater thing in life.
Maybe then my attentions are misplaced. Maybe my boredom is a result of misplaced priorities. In this I gain comfort, that the only thing worthwhile in life is seeking after the Great Provider and only in him will I find contentment. My prayer is that God never lets me overlook this truth.

No comments: